Ten local students whose families are served by Victory Electric earned a $1,000 Lightner Community Spirit Scholarship. The scholarship is designed to recognize students who have demonstrated academic success and show a commitment to bettering their community.
- CLARA BARLETT of Cimarron, daughter of Brian and Stephanie Sonday, senior at Cimarron High School.
- MACKENZIE BIRNEY of Bucklin, daughter of Kevin and Bev Birney, senior at Bucklin High School.
- GABE ELLIS of Bucklin, son of Will and Laura Ellis, senior at Bucklin High School.
- KERRY GARCIA of Dodge City, son of Maria Santos, senior at Dodge City High School.
- ABBY HARDING of Dodge City, daughter of Derrick and Jan Harding, senior at Dodge City High School.
- RILEIGH HEEKE of Dodge City, daughter of Justin and Sarah Heeke, senior at Dodge City High School.
- NATHAN HEEKE of Spearville, son of Rick and Jill Heeke, sophomore at Kansas State University.
- GAGE MCDONALD of Mullinville, son of Darren and Amy McDonald, senior at Kiowa County High School.
- HAILEY MINET of Ingalls, daughter of John and Toni Minet, senior at Ingalls High School.
- SAMANTHA WOODS of Cimarron, daughter of Phillip and Laura Woods, senior at Cimarron High School.
“We congratulate the 2020 scholarship winners and are proud to reward the students for their academic success and dedication to their community,” said Shane Laws, Victory Electric CEO. “As a not-for-profit cooperative, one of our guiding principles is ‘Commitment to Community,’ and I can’t think of a better way than a scholarship program to give back to the communities we serve and encourage youth to be involved in their own community.” The name of the scholarship honors the Lightner family of Plymell, Kansas. Richard Lightner served on the Victory Electric board of trustees for 37 years and his father, George, served 31 years previous. Both strongly supported Victory Electric’s community and youth programs. To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be an active member in good standing with the cooperative, or a dependent of such member. Applicants must be a student at or entering an accredited trade school, college or university (two or four year). For more information, please visit our website at victoryelectric.net or contact the communications department at firstname.lastname@example.org.