The Victory Electric Cooperative Assn., Inc. in Dodge City, Kan., is seeking a full-time lineman.
- Must read and understand the cooperative expected safe work practices manual.
- Assist lineman or crew with the various aspects of line maintenance, repair and construction.
- Required to hand lineman necessary protective equipment needed for work being done (i.e. hotsticks, rubber goods, blankets, gloves, etc.)
- Prepare and assemble various line apparatus required for particular work being performed.
- Drive and operate the various Victory Electric vehicles.
- Keep work areas clean and organized. Pick up scrap wire, boxes and other discarded materials.
- Communicate with office and/or other crews using three-part communication.
- Keep unauthorized people away from work area.
- Stock trucks with material commonly used on a daily basis.
- Assist with cleaning warehouse and storage yard area.
- Assist with washing, and maintain equipment in proper working order.
- Assist with cleaning protective equipment (hotsticks and rubber goods).
- Use of various hand and power tools.
- Assist with loading of various materials onto trucks and/or trailers.
- Any and all others duties assigned by line supervisor/Journeyman.
- Required to finish the fourth year training manual.
- Required to have the 2nd class check list complete.
OVERHEAD DUTIES (Based on Experience)
- Employee will be in close proximity to work area in case on emergency. (i.e. must be able to operate lower controls on a line truck.)
- Must verify proper grounding of line truck and bucket trucks.
- Prepare pole mount transformers and assist with installation.
- May climb on energized structures outside of minimum approach.
- May work on any de-energized structures on a pole or out of an aerial device.
- May work on energized structures below 13,800 volts and under direct supervision of crew leader.
- Install and/or change out transformers and other equipment on energized lines.
- Maintain energized line components such as insulators, poles, cross arms and related equipment under direct supervision of the crew leader.
- Clear trouble on the distribution system, disconnect gang-type air break switches, underground elbow connections/terminators and other system devices used for line sectionalizing under supervision of the crew leader.
- Develop knowledge of multi-phase transformer bank connections and pole framing procedures, and the basic principles of voltage regulation and metering.
- Increase knowledge of RUS and Victory Electric specifications on both single and three-phase units/drawings, and learn all basic NEC/NESC clearance requirements for constructing overhead lines over roadways, driveways, highways and lands, as well as space requirements between foreign lines on joint-use and non-joint-use poles.
- Increase overall knowledge of system maps, switch number locations, and substations; relate this knowledge to actual circuit sectionalizing points in the field.
- Learn how to read and use a conductor sag chart from initial/final sagging tables and how to properly sag conductors.
- Develop elementary knowledge of sectionalizing equipment such as oil circuit reclosers/breakers, oil/dry type sectionalizers, substation breakers, regulating devices, control devices, capacitors and other related equipment.
- Observe and become familiar with Victory Electric switching procedures and interruption records.
- Operate vehicles, hydraulic equipment/tools, and other special equipment.
- Help with training of groundmen and/or other apprentice Lineman.
- Learn various operating and maintenance accounts and how to handle material check out for construction work orders, as well as material credit procedures for returning retired materials salvaged or excess new material originally checked out.
- Performing other duties or work requested or assigned.
UNDERGROUND DUTIES (Based on Experience)
- Assemble conduit and place in trench.
- Train on operating a trencher and backhoe.
- Assist with installation of various underground apparatuses.
- Assist with pulling wire.
- Must be knowledgeable with the materials needed and process to strip and terminate underground cables.
- May work on/in energized cabinet or transformers below 13800 volts under direct supervision of the crew leader.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate with others and to understand information, in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to work outside regular scheduled hours, and be available for emergency and/or pre-arranged work.
- Ability to perform duties involving prolonged standing, sitting, crouching and/or stooping.
- Ability to push, pull and position tools, equipment and structural material weighing in excess of 80 pounds.
- Ability to lift loads weighing up to 80 pounds.
- Ability to work from various heights.
- Ability to work on smooth or uneven surfaces and under varying climatic conditions.
- Ability to work with both arms overhead.
- Ability to grip and hold lines and ropes with up to 75 pounds weight.
- Ability to work with small components.
- Ability to operate assigned equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to perform hurtman rescue annually and meet proficiency guidelines.
- Possession of a valid commercial driver’s license (Class A) with the State of Kansas.
- Ability to respond to after-hours outages, emergencies or other situations within thirty (30) minutes.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Linemen school diploma (preferred)
Download the job application here: https://www.victoryelectric.net/sites/victoryelectric/files/Victory%20Electric%20Employment%20Application_Fillable%20Form%204-15.pdf
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and management as required.
We have a competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance. A defined benefit pension plan with an age 62 retirement that has a lump-sum pay out. We also have a defined contribution 401k plan. Other benefits include: life insurance, short and long-term disability, business travel insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, and paid sick leave. Some other benefits available are Aflac, Section 125 Cafeteria Plan, and MetLife.
Pre-employment drug screening and physical, criminal background check, and motor vehicle check is required. Victory Electric is an equal opportunity action employer. Visit www.victoryelectric.net/content/careers. The position opened until filled. Individuals should mail/fax/email their cover letter & résumé to: Victory Electric Cooperative • PO Box 1335 • Dodge City, KS 67801 • Fax: 620.227.8948 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.