The Victory Electric Cooperative Assn., Inc. in Dodge City, Kan., is seeking a Summer Intern.
- Must read and understand the cooperative expected safe work practices manual.
- Assist lineman and crew with the various aspects of line maintenance, repair and construction.
- Required to hand lineman necessary protective equipment needed for work being done (i.e. hotsticks, rubber goods, blankets, gloves, etc.)
- Prepare and assemble various line apparatus required for particular work being performed.
- Keep work areas clean and organized. Pick up scrap wire, boxes and other discarded materials.
- Communicate with office and/or other crews using three-part communication.
- Keep unauthorized people away from work area.
- Stock trucks with materials commonly used on a daily basis.
- Assist with cleaning warehouse and storage yard area.
- Assist with washing, and maintain equipment in proper working order.
- Assist with cleaning protective equipment (hotsticks and rubber goods).
- Use of various hand and power tools.
- Assist with loading of various materials onto trucks and/or trailers.
- Any and all others duties assigned by crew chief/journeyman.
- Employee will be in close proximity to the work area in case of emergency. (i.e. must be able to operate lower controls on a line truck.)
- Must verify proper grounding of line truck and bucket truck.
- Prepare pole mount transformers and assist with installation.
- May climb on de-energized and grounded structures.
- May work on any de-energized structures off a pole.
- May not use aerial device other than the lower controls.
- Assemble conduit and place in trench.
- Assist with installation of various underground apparatuses.
- Assist with pulling wire.
- Must be knowledgeable with the materials needed and process to strip and terminate underground cables.
- May not work in an energized transformer or secondary cabinet.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate with others and to understand information, in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to work outside regularly scheduled hours; to be available for emergency and/or pre-arranged work.
- Ability to perform duties involving prolonged standing, sitting, crouching and/or stooping.
- Ability to push, pull and position tools, equipment and structural material weighing in excess of 80 pounds
- Ability to lift loads weighing up to 80 pounds.
- Ability to work from various heights.
- Ability to work on smooth or uneven surfaces and under varying climatic conditions.
- Ability to work with both arms overhead.
- Ability to grip and hold lines and ropes with up to 75 pounds weight.
- Ability to work with small components.
- Ability to operate assigned equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to perform hurtman rescue annually and meet proficiency guidelines.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least one year of line school.
The internship is not a guarantee of full-time employment with the Victory Electric Cooperative.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and management as required.
We have a competitive benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance. A defined benefit pension plan with an age 62 retirement that has a lump-sum pay out. We also have a defined contribution 401k plan. Other benefits include, life insurance, short and long-term disability, business travel insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, and paid sick leave. Some other benefits available are Aflac, Section 125 Cafeteria Plan, and MetLife.
Pre-employment drug screening and physical, criminal background check, and motor vehicle check is required. Victory Electric is an equal opportunity action employer. Visit www.victoryelectric.net/content/careers. Position opened until filled. Individuals should mail/fax/email their cover letter & résumé to: Victory Electric Cooperative • PO Box 1335 • Dodge City, KS 67801 • Fax: 620.227.8948 • Email: email@example.com. No phone calls please.