Ten local students whose families are served by The Victory Electric Cooperative Assn., Inc., earned a $1,000 Lightner Community Spirit Scholarship. The scholarship program recognizes students who demonstrate academic success and show a commitment to bettering their community.
- Isai Ceja, son of Juan Fransisco Ceja, of Dodge City, and Caryce Ceja Rivera, senior at Manhattan High School.
- Ridge Estes, son of Brad and Mishaun Estes, senior at Bucklin High School.
- Lauren Gleason, daughter of Jon and Heather Gleason, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Elizabeth Goetz, daughter of Joe and Brandy Goetz, senior at Cimarron High School.
- Gavin Jones, son of Ryan and Lora Miller, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Cole Lehman, son of Roy Lehman and Deann Gillen-Lehman, senior at Ingalls High School.
- Citlali Real, daughter of Heriberto and Ruth Real, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Nathan Renner, son of Jeff and Nancy Renner, senior at Minneola High School.
- Leah Stein, daughter of Dr. Mike and Coleen Stein, junior at the University of Kansas.
- Kenny Zimmerman, son of Doug and Lisa Zimmerman, senior at Spearville High School.
“We congratulate the 2021 scholarship winners and are proud to reward the students for their academic success and dedication to their community,” said Shane Laws, Victory Electric CEO. “As a not-for-profit cooperative, one of our guiding principles is ‘Commitment to Community,’ and I can’t think of a better way than a scholarship program to give back to the communities we serve and encourage youth to be involved in their individual communities.”
The name of the scholarship honors the Lightner family of Plymell, Kansas. Richard Lightner served on the Victory Electric board of trustees for 37 years and his father, George, served 31 years previous. Both strongly supported Victory Electric’s community and youth programs.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be an active member in good standing with the cooperative, or a dependent of such member. Applicants must also be a current full-time student or entering an accredited trade school, college or university. For more information on eligibility or the application process, visit victoryelectric.net or contact Victory Electric’s communications department at firstname.lastname@example.org.